Whether you are using Android or any other operating system environment, every file or in fact, every operation that you carry out has the default app associated to it. But how do you change default apps in Android to open files and links once these default apps are already assigned.
This is what happens when you try to open a file or a link in Android for the first time:
I have drawn the arrows because options “JUST ONCE” and “ALWAYS” are dimmed here. Once you select one of the apps to open the selected file, these options become active, as shown below:
If you tap on “ALWAYS” then for a particular format of files this will be set as the default app.
The same happens with links. Whenever you tap on a link, the Android system asks you which browser you would like to use. In the same way, if it seems to be a YouTube link, it asks you whether you would like to use YouTube to open the link or another app. Unless you have selected “ALWAYS” it is always going to ask you which app to use in order to open a file or a link. Once you select “ALWAYS” it is set as the default app.
So how do you change default apps in Android to open files and links, once these apps have been set as default apps? I mean, by mistake you can select “ALWAYS”. Are you then stuck with this particular default app? No.
You don’t need any third party app to change the default apps in Android to open files and links.
This is how you change the default apps in Android:
- Go to Settings: pull down the notifications area once and tap on the cog icon.
- Scroll down to the Apps option and then tap on it.
- Once you are in the Apps section, tap the Settings icon. Remember that this time you don’t have to tap on the main Settings icon, you need to tap on the Settings icon of the Apps section that may appear as three vertically arranged dots or the cog icon.
- Either the drop-down menu will contain the option “Default Apps” or it will contain the “Configure apps” option. If the latter, tap on “Configure apps”
- Here you will find the “Default Apps” option. When you tap on it, you will see all the default apps for the various functions such as opening browsers or launching instant messaging apps or opening files. Remember that only those default apps will be shown which have been set through the “ALWAYS” option.
- You can click on individual Default apps in order to change them.
These are the steps that you can take to change the default apps in Android for opening files, links and other actions, without using a third-party app for managing default apps.